Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Step By Steph Recital- Flick: Move To Movies

And the day everyone has been
waiting for finally came...
It is a combination of heterogeneous feelings.
For some reason, I was feeling VERY anxious about the recital.
I guess it's because this year I handled the Hip-Hop Kids Class
instead of Jazz which is my forte.
I was not sure if I was ready or not,
but I risked it still.
I was carrying a big lump of pressure at my back.
I admit that I am a novice in Hip-Hop and
it took me a lot of help from dancer friends
to make a "lesson plan" for my class. :))
Surprisingly, it worked way more than I expected.

From 7 enrollees, it went up to 15.
Yes, I am very proud to say that the mere fact
that there were few when I started the class
and suddenly, a lot enrolled after their try-out
is because I shared to them
one of the things I learned from my inspirations in dancing-
LOVE what you are doing.

During the process,
I had a hard time.
I used my preschool teaching strategies to handle them.
I, together with my kiddies, tried to make the class as fun as we can.
Parents were eagle-eyed on their kiddies.
(This made me feel really anxious each and every time!)
My patience was tested again and again.
And after everything, I realized that the only thing
I can make this work is when I establish rapport with them.
I treat them as if they were my own.
And when I was able to do that,
they were able to love what they were doing.
Being with them twice a week for two months,
I must say, is not enough.
THEY were asking for more. :')
I wish I could extend the workshop. Hehe
I will miss our rehearsals, "cipher", and random conversations.
I will definitely going to miss them.
Can I just say that I am REALLY proud of them?
These kids are swaggers, house dancers, and hip-hop dancers.
Real talk. :)





On the 2d half of the recital
is where I performed contemporary dance.
This is by far, the most melodramatic
contemporary piece I have ever danced.
The piece was oozing with passion and love for dance.
People were so quiet the moment we started dancing on stage.
Tears wanted to roll down my cheeks during the performance.
Insane feeling and invigorating dance steps
raptured the eyes of the audience
and I am pretty sure,
they felt every bit of our emotion and story.
Thank you so much to Sir Peter for another opportunity.
Contemporary made me whole again.
It rekindled the once lost fire in me.






Here's the video of our piece:


This year is really incredible and memorable.
Congratulations to Mommy Steph for a successful summer workshop.
And kudos to all the students for a job well done! :)
I cannot wait for next year!
FOREVER ON THE DANCEFLOOR.


Credit for the photos:
Bry Go
Carla Quiogue
Ardo Avancena